Pure Planet Recycling offers a fridge recycling service for business customers. Fridges and freezers contain hazardous components that require specialist treatment when being recycled. We collect domestic and industrial sized fridges, domestic and industrial sized fridges and air conditioning units. We are an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) for electrical waste and recycle all types of electrical equipment. Our staff collect fridges and freezers from businesses and local authorities using our own vehicles and ensure they are recycled here within the UK.
All fridge & freezer collections are accompanied by Hazardous Waste Paperwork, consigned to our recycling facility. This allows for a paper traceable and audit-able recycling service for all items that we recycle. It details the numbers, weights and hazardous materials contained within.
Once collected, we send the white goods, in bulk, for recycling at a partner company specialising in the recycling of fridges and freezers. They follow strict procedures to ensure all the hazardous components are removed and properly treated. This allows the remaining materials to be separated for material recovery and reuse. Recent legislation changes have seen only a handful of recycling facilities licensed to recycle refrigeration units within the UK. Our recycling partner is one such company, so you can be sure of a compliant and legal recycling service.
How is a Fridge Recycled?
Ever wondered how a Fridge is recycled, once you dispose of it? What happens to each section and the harmful gases contained within? The following process is used within the fridge freezer recycling plant, conveyor belts move the units from one stage to the next.
- Firstly the fridges are emptied of any food, trays and shelves contained within. The compressor, and pipes on the rear of the unit are also removed at this stage.
- The pipe work that has been removed is processed to remove the refrigerant gases.
- The insulation foam is stripped from the device with the use of machinery that breaks the item into small pieces.
- These pieces are then separated into the different materials of plastic, metal, cable and insulation foam.
- The plastic, metal and cable are then used as materials for reuse in the manufacturing chain of new goods.
- The only part of the fridge that can not be recycled as a material is the insulation foam. This is sent to an Energy from Waste facility in order to create Electricity.
This fridge recycling process allows for maximum recovery recycling rates whilst maintaining best recycling practice.
For a quotation or more information regarding our fridge freezer recycling service please contact us.